| Lanarkshire History and
Old & New Monklands Parishes
|Blantyre (incl. Bothwell & Bothwellhaugh )|
|Old Monkland & Kirkwood|
|Auchengeich Mine Disaster|
|Stanrigg Mining Disaster|
|Mosside Mine Disaster|
Origin of the Name - by Robert Murray
Letter from Australia by Alistair Stevenson
Baillieston by Robert D. Corrins
The village of Baillieston grew out of a number of small hamlets, including Crosshill, Barrachnie, and Bredisholm, which developed as farming and weaving communities in the latter part of the eighteenth century.
The opening up of
the Monklands coalfieldwith the construction of the
Monklands Canal and later the
railway stimulated the rapid growth
of Baillieston which soon acquired
the typical character of a mining
village although some weaving
survived till almost the end of the
A continuous programme of pit sinking drew in workers from throughout Scotland and beyond, and the population grew rapidly to reach almost 4000 by the time of the First World War. Irish, many of them Catholics, made up the largest of the non-Scottish additions to the population but there were significant numbers of Ulster Protestants, both Episcopalian and Presbyterian, as well as English and later Poles and Italians.
As the fortunes of the coal industry fluctuated throughout the century this disparate population gradually came to form a distinct village community moulded by the common experience of an often harsh living and working environment.
A group of
miners outside the Brandy Pit around
the early 1900's
Can YOU recognise anyone?
The local pits went
into decline at the beginning of the
twentieth century and with little
alternative employment, beyond the
jamworks, the self contained
character of the village began to
change. This was accelerated by the
extension of the tramway
systemwhich early in the
century greatly improved the
transport links to Coatbridge to the
east but more importantly to the
city of Glasgow to the west.
The building of the large private housing estate of Garrowhill as a Garden Suburb which began in the inter-war period not only changed the social composition of the village but reinforced its transformation into a commuter suburb of Glasgow. This was formally acknowledged when the village was transferred from Lanarkshire and absorbed into the city at the time of local government reorganisation in 1975. Since that time a succession of private housing estates have been constructed around the village and little remains of the original community.
produced a number of distinguished
people. John Wheatley,
although born in Ireland grew up at
Braehead and went to St Bridgets
school. He became a prominent Labour
politician, serving as Minister of
Health in the first Labour
Government, and was responsible for
the Housing Act of 1924, which
transformed the living conditions of
millions of working class people.
Another prominent labour politician was Sir Patrick Dollan who became Lord Provost of Glasgow and first chairman of the East Kilbride Development Corporation. The village also provided a Lord Provost of Edinburgh in Sir William Thomson, a founding partner in what became the SMT bus company.
William Reid was awarded the Victoria Cross for outstanding bravery in a bombing raid over Dusseldorf in 1943.
shows the conditions most people
lived in around the early 1900's.
This a family group outside a miners
The Square, Crosshill, Baillieston, c1935The wee lad in the picture is Davie Reid who emigrated to New Zealand. He died a few years ago.
These houses were built c1840 in Gillies Lane in Baillieston.They are still standing but unoccupied.
(On Hangmans Brae - on the road from Baillieston to back of what was once Calderpark Zoo -now a housing estate )
It was occupied by a Mr Young (Coalmaster) from the end of the 1800s to around 1920. After lying empty for a time, it was converted to a Maternity Hospital (part of Bellshill Maternity) and was in use until the early 1980s. Latterly it was used as by the Talbot Association as a refuge for alcoholics.)
Today it has been demolished and the land is being used for housing - adjacent to the "town" that is appearing on the old Glasgow Zoo site.