| Lanarkshire History and
Old & New Monklands Parishes
|Old Monkland & Kirkwood|
|Auchengeich Mine Disaster|
|Stanrigg Mining Disaster|
|Mosside Mine Disaster|
Contributed by William Kerr firstname.lastname@example.org
FASKINE, a village, in the parish of Old Monkland, Middle ward of the county of Lanark, 1 mile (S.) from Airdrie; containing 408 inhabitants. It is situated in the eastern extremity of the parish, and is one of the numerous villages that owe their rise to the minerals or manufactures of the district. Faskine is the seat of an extensive colliery, and it was here that the coal called the Splint, or Lady Anne coal, was first found, the seam deriving its name from Lady Anne Stirling, the wife of A. Stirling, Esq. In the neighbourhood of the village are four ironstone mines. From: A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846), http://www.british-history.ac.uk
"Old description: Faskine, or Fasken, an estate and a village in Old Monkland Parish, Lanarkshire, on the right bank of North Calder Water, mile W of Calderbank, 1miles south of Airdrie . The estate contains coal and ironstone mines, worked from an earlier period than any others in the great Clydesdale mineral field. Pop. of Faskine and Palacecraig (including Hillhead), (1881) 475, (1891) 486".
The Faskine sits nearly two miles to the south of Airdrie town centre and three miles east of Coatbridge. Its the small neighbour of Calderbank. As most families had relations in both villages it would be right to say that the Faskine was the wee cousin. Both communities were mainly made up of mining and steel working families. In years gone by the man of the house would only have to fall out of his bed to make his work.
Faskine was the site of the first Clydeside and Monklands coal mines supporting three mines in all not including the neighbouring Palacecraig, Hillhead and Calderbank pits. The mines came about through the extension of the Monklands canal to Calderbank. Prior to this the land was very much used for farming with tenants being monks.
The Faskine was by far the smallest neighbour with only two remaining miners rows, the Brick Row and the Bottom Row along with the old school house and Faskine farm all overlooked by the mighty High Palacecraig house.
The Bottom Row sat on the canal banking, the Monkland canal built to carry the iron and steel from Calderbank and Coatbridge all the way to the Clyde in Glasgow.
T he Brick Row sat almost at the top of the long wide hill that makes its way to Airdrie overlooking the canal and the North Calder water as well as Calderbank and the surrounding Woodhall estate.
villages that surrounded Faskine included 'Peep
O' Day' (between
Calderbank and Hillhead)
and 'Mount Bonnie' that
sat further along the
canal banking towards
Greenend, both were very
small consisting of 1
row. Heading towards
Calderbank on the canal
banking you would also
Williams mother and uncle, the children (uncle now lives in California), his grandmother top left and great grandmother in the middle, grandmothers sister top right.
William's Great Grandfather John Kelly was known as 'the Doc'. This confused some locals to this day who would argue that a Doctor stayed in his mothers home (before Millers buses) but it was 'The Doc' who stayed there. He was given the nic-name as he was the fireman down the pit and as he was a fireman he was also a trained first-aider so it would be him the locals would come to when needed as doctors could not be afforded,
Does anyone recognise the boy picking blackberries??