Sculptures in Central Scotland
On your journey into Glasgow on the M8 you cannot fail to see The Heavy Horse - a sculpture by Andy Scott.
On the A80 - on road from A73 going east past Cumbernauld you can see another Andy Scott sculpture of a "mermaid" named Arria
The statue in the picture was erected on the corner of Woodside Road and
Lismore Drive in 2004. The sculpture by Michael Snowden was commissioned by Old
Monkland Housing Partnership. It depicts the man who gave Old Monkland its
name. The Coatbridge Coat of Arms adopted in 1892 depicts a Monk with the stone
in his left hand.
This website represents a sample of the works undertaken by Scottish sculptor Andy Scott. A graduate of Glasgow School of Art in 1986, Andy has now completed over 70 projects across a wide range of disciplines across the UK and internationally.
His distinctive hand-crafted figurative sculptures combine traditional dexterity with contemporary fabrication techniques, and range in scale from 3 to 30 metres in height.
He works with regular teams of structural engineers, fabricators, haulage & crane operators, lighting designers and a host of other specialist professionals to create striking landmark artworks
at Airdriehill photo by Brian Cairns
You can�t miss a six-metre-high sculpture, named Skytower, which is the centrepiece of the community greenspace owned by the Forestry Commission.
Created by artist Rob Mulholland - The tower stretches up into the sky some 6 metres, silhouetted against the skyline overlooking Central Scotland. The sculpture is made from cut lengths of metal rod which have been shaped to resemble sticks and willow. Each metal rod is welded and interwoven to create the structure, with over six thousand welds and fourteen hundred metres of steel rod - m
ore than 1400 meters of steel rod and 6000 separate welds were involved in its creation.
Pupils from 2 local schools, St serfs Primary and Clarkston Primary collaborated o this project with visits from the artist and Community Ranger Andy Gallacher. The children contributed to the overall theme of Skytower and created the adjacent sculpture which describes the natural elements in words. Skytower was
Woman Man Sun Moon -
at Newhouse overlooking the M8
The nine-metre high sculpture called Woman Man Sun Moon, is sited next to the Co-operative Group's new regional distribution centre in Newhouse at junction six. It was commissioned by ProLogis, and was designed by award-winning artist Kate Robinson, and made from aluminium. Seem more aspects at the web site http://www.katerobinsononline.com
Another sculpture by Kate - exhibited at Celtic Park - is that of Jimmy Johnstone
The sculpture unveiled in December 2008, which was funded by Celtic Football Club, depicts a young Jimmy Johnstone from the late 1960s, the time of Jimmy�s most noteable achievements.
The 8 metres high figure of the Heron on the banks of the Clyde was made by Andy Scott in 1998 as a commission for Sustrans, a charity which promotes practical projects to encourage and facilitate people to walk, cycle and use public transport.
The sculpture symbolises the regeneration of the River Clyde in recent years, and the
benefits to the environment which has encouraged wild life to return to a once polluted site. It has acquired the title of the Carmyle Heron, but this is something of a misnomer for it is on the southern side of the Clyde from this district, just over the river from Clydeford Road.
Polkemmet Country Park - The Horn
The Horn is a 24 metres high tubular structure
beside the M8 motorway , which sits on a stepped concrete base. The elegant swan-like neck on top of a tapering vertical opens out into an oval trumpet which points towards the motorway and seems to �speak� to the speeding cars
. The stainless steel sculpture was commissioned by West Lothian Council, and was designed by artists Matthew Dalziel and Louise Scullion
. On windy days, the horn plays recorded music, poetry and famous quotes.
Popularly known as the Pyramids
, the Sawtooth Ramps are a public art installation that overlooks the east-bound carriageway of the M8 motorway 1� miles (2.5 km) northeast of Blackburn and 2 miles (3 km) east southeast of Bathgate. The 305-m (1000-foot) long sculpture of seven 11-m (36-foot) high ramps are built of earth and seeded with grass, which is kept short by grazing sheep. Further interest was added in 2007, when these sheep were dyed bright red and blue. Click here for coloured sheep!!
A little further north to Dundee for this image of Desperate Dan
Photo by Stevie Spiers
Cairnhill Stump 1st View
Cairnhill Stump 2nd View
Introducing the Big Cairnhill Stump!! Shades of Easter Island!!
Can be seen to left of Sikeside Road before Cromarty Road
Andy Capp statue in Hartlepool - well away from Central Scotland but with an added coloured bunnet especially for Art McGivern
Oor Wullie in the Cowgate
A MEMORIAL statue to San Diego's most famous dog was placed in Princes Street Gardens.
The statue of Bum � is described as the San Diego US equivalent to Greyfriars Bobby
Buffalo Bill - In Whitehill Street, Dennistoun, Glasgow
A bronze statue of Buffalo Bill was officially unveiled by Glasgow Springburn
MSP Paul Martin on Friday 17th November 2006 in Dennistoun Village. The installation was commissioned by Regency Homes to mark their new development off Whitehill Street and to commemorate Buffalo Bill's Wild West show that opened there 115 years ago.
Outside the Gallery of Modern Art
and forming an end to Ingram Street the statue of the Duke of Wellington by Italian artist Carlo Marochetti
was erected in 1844. Glasgow City Council plans to end the long-standing tradition of placing a traffic cone on Glasgow's iconic statue were dropped after a massive backlash.
Duke of Wellington - Limited Edition - Blue Hat
Roman soldier guards DullaturDullatur is a village within the vicinity of Cumbernauld. The route of the Antonine Wall passed right over the site of Dullatur, and a Roman camp was actually sited there.
by Lara Greene
A site specific public artwork commissioned by North Lanarkshire Council for
Centenary Park, Airdrie, Lanarkshire, March 2008.
The work consists of two figurative sculptures, one male and one female. Their
bodies reflect the arches of the railway viaduct behind them and their heads are
constructed with tree & plant-like forms. Paving, planting and
lighting around the sculptures has subsequently been created.
Galvanised steel, two sculptures 195cmx225cmx96cm each approx.