Sculptures in The Monklands
On the A80 - on road from A73 going east past
Cumbernauld you can see another Andy Scott sculpture of a "mermaid" named Arria
Another Cumbernauld sculpture -
The statue in the picture was erected on the corner of Woodside Road and
Lismore Drive in 2004. The sculpture by Michael Snowden was commissioned
by Old Monkland Housing Partnership. It depicts the man who gave Old
Monkland its name. The Coatbridge Coat of Arms adopted in 1892 depicts a Monk
with the stone in his left hand. The pub in the background is now a small
The Auchengeich Miner
Sculptor John McKenna
The Auchengeich Miner was commissioned by the Auchengeich
Memorial Committee as a centrepiece feature in the renewal of
their existing Mining Memorial, at Bridgend, Moodiesburn,
Glasgow. The statue was cast using the
ceramic shell lost wax technique into bronze at the John
McKenna's A4A art Studio bronze foundry. Read More
Picture courtesy of John McKenna
The Whales Tail
The sculpture of a whales tail, previously located
behind the visitors centre at Drumpellier Park, has now
been refurbished and moved to the middle of the loch.
The 12ft piece of art, made from sheet metal, has now
been embedded on a special supporting structure of
concrete and stones and is set to become a notable
feature of the Coatbridge country park.
This website represents a sample of the works undertaken by Scottish sculptor Andy Scott. A graduate of Glasgow School of Art in 1986, Andy has now completed over 70 projects across a wide range of disciplines across the UK and internationally.
His distinctive hand-crafted figurative sculptures combine traditional dexterity with contemporary fabrication techniques, and range in scale from 3 to 30 metres in height.
He works with regular teams of structural engineers, fabricators, haulage & crane operators, lighting designers and a host of other specialist professionals to create striking landmark artworks
at Airdriehill photo by Brian Cairns
You cant miss a six-metre-high sculpture, named Skytower, which is the centrepiece of the community greenspace owned by the Forestry Commission.
Created by artist Rob Mulholland - The tower stretches up into the sky some 6 metres, silhouetted against the skyline overlooking Central Scotland. The sculpture is made from cut lengths of metal rod which have been shaped to resemble sticks and willow. Each metal rod is welded and interwoven to create the structure, with over six thousand welds and fourteen hundred metres of steel rod - m
ore than 1400 meters of steel rod and 6000 separate welds were involved in its creation.
Pupils from 2 local schools, St serfs Primary and Clarkston Primary collaborated o this project with visits from the artist and Community Ranger Andy Gallacher. The children contributed to the overall theme of Skytower and created the adjacent sculpture which describes the natural elements in words. Skytower was
Woman Man Sun Moon -
at Newhouse overlooking the M8The nine-metre high sculpture called Woman Man Sun Moon, is sited next to the Co-operative Group's new regional distribution centre in Newhouse at junction six. It was commissioned by ProLogis, and was designed by award-winning artist Kate Robinson, and made from aluminium. Seem more aspects at the web site http://www.katerobinsononline.com
One of several large sculptures on the A8/M8 between Edinburgh and Glasgow, This one was installed in
1999 as part of the M8 Art Project. They are modelled on real people, and the work is a tribute to the Lanarkshire steel industry, made of welded tube and mounted on up-ended freight containersA striking public art-work which forms a prominent landmark on the south side of the A8 trunk road, on the northern edge of the Eurocentral industrial and distribution centre, Big Heids comprise three giant heads each 10m (33 feet) in height and weighing 18 tons.
Supported on an upturned freight containers, some 7m (23 feet) high, the heads where installed in 1999. The controversial work cost 273,000 and forms part of the M8 Art Project, intended to form a 'sculpture corridor' along the road between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Designed by Methil-born sculptor David Mach (b. 1956), the sculpture is modelled on the faces of local volunteers, two men and a woman picked at random from the streets of Motherwell. It is crafted from thousands of welded steel tubes, of the sort once manufactured at the former Clydesdale Steel Works at nearby Mossend.
The 3 Wee Heids at Monkland Canal
Photos by Brian Cairns
The 8 metres high figure of the Heron on the banks of the Clyde was made by Andy Scott in 1998 as a commission for Sustrans, a charity which promotes practical projects to encourage and facilitate people to walk, cycle and use public transport.
The sculpture symbolises the regeneration of the River Clyde in recent years, and the
benefits to the environment which has encouraged wild life to return to a once polluted site. It has acquired the title of the Carmyle Heron, but this is something of a misnomer for it is on the southern side of the Clyde from this district, just over the river from Clydeford Road.
Cairnhill Stump 1st View
Introducing the Big Cairnhill Stump!! Shades of Easter Island!!
Can be seen to left of Sikeside Road before Cromarty Road
Another Cairnhill sculpture - Picture by Stevie Spiers
Roman soldier guards DullaturDullatur is a village within the vicinity of Cumbernauld. The route of the Antonine Wall passed right over the site of Dullatur, and a Roman camp was actually sited there.
The Rise" by Andy Scott.A sculpture that stands at Glasgow Harbour.
Blairhill Archway by Stevie Speirs
Flora and Fauna
Installed at The Gushet by Friends of Centenary Park
Photo by Brian Cairns
The Airdrie Horse
by Stevie Spiers
Im hoping to learn a bit about this fine mosaic - located in Dundyvan Road near
the Banks social Club. I f you know anything about it Please send an email to Monklands Memories
Photo by Stevie Spiers