Nicolás Maduro pleads not guilty to narco-terrorism and cocaine crimes
NEW YORK – Captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro pleaded not guilty in a Manhattan federal court Jan. 5 to charges that he led a conspiracy to transport thousands of tons of cocaine into the United States.
Maduro, who was removed from Venezuela by U.S. military forces, entered the plea just two days after landing in New York . If convicted, the deposed Venezuelan leader could face decades behind bars.
"I am innocent. I am not guilty. I am a decent man. I am still president of my country," Maduro said in court Jan. 5, before being cut off by U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein.
Maduro was in court for his arraignment, a formal proceeding in which defendants are informed of the charges they face and have an opportunity to enter a plea. His wife, Cilia Flores, was also there and pleaded not guilty to several similar charges.
Maduro represented by Julian Assange's lawyer
When the judge first asked Maduro to identify himself, the deposed leader, who was unshackled, stated his name and said, “I am the president of the Republic of Venezuela.""I was captured in my home in Venezuela," Maduro added, before Hellerstein interrupted him.
Maduro also told the judge he'd seen the indictment against him but hadn't yet read it. He partially discussed it with his lawyer, he said.
Maduro is being represented by Barry Pollack, a lawyer who is no stranger to high-profile cases. Pollack previously represented Julian Assange, the publisher of WikiLeaks. Assange was charged with violating the Espionage Act for publishing classified information leaked by Chelsea Manning.
The captured leader said he didn't need to have the indictment formally read to him in court and would rather read it personally. When the judge told him he had the right to remain silent and the right to a lawyer, Maduro said, "I did not know of these rights. Your honor is informing me of them now."
What is Maduro charged with?
The indictment accuses Maduro of partnering for decades with "narco-terrorists" – basically, drug traffickers who use violence and intimidation – to distribute cocaine into the United States. It targets his alleged actions going as far back as the 2000s, when he served as Venezuela's Minister of Foreign Affairs and, according to the charges, provided diplomatic passports to drug traffickers.
The indictment also charges Maduro with illegally possessing firearms to aid the alleged drug trafficking scheme.
Maduro served as Venezuela's vice president under President Hugo Chávez from 2012 to 2013 and has been the country's president since 2013, when Chávez died.
Maduro's wife, Cilia Flores, 'sustained significant injuries'
The indictment also charges Maduro's wife, Cilia Flores , with conspiring to import illegal drugs into the United States and gun crimes. She was seized along with her husband by U.S. personnel. She also pleaded not guilty in court Jan. 5.
“Not guilty. Completely innocent,” Flores pleaded at the proceedings, speaking through an interpreter.
Her lawyer, Mark Donnelly, said she “sustained significant injuries," and motioned to the judge in the courtroom, indicating the injuries were physically apparent. He said his client could have fractures or bruising on her ribs and asked the judge to make sure both she and her husband get medical attention. Hellerstein approved that request.
Contributing: Reuters .
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Nicolás Maduro pleads not guilty to drug, terrorism, and gun charges
